Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Fat Trap




Okay I admit it, I love to buy something that says 'low fat' or 'less fat' because it suddenly transforms it from something that was bad for me into something that is good for me. That ice cream that a moment ago I was determined to resist because it wasn't on my healthy eating plan, instantly becomes acceptable once it has had a few grams of fat taken out of it. So you can imagine my horror the other day when I was in the supermarket and I realized that the Country Crock Light Butter Spread had the same amount of fat and calories as the regular Country Crock Butter Spread. How can that be? Well on closer inspection I realized that even the regular spread claimed to have half the fat and calories as regular butter, so I guess they decided that no one would notice if they introduced another version with exactly the same nutritional profile but that this time actually announced that it was lighter! This was definitely an instance where I felt that the marketing of the product was seriously setting out to mislead me, while at the same time wondered whether they thought that most of us are complete morons and unlikely to ever compare the two products. I can't say that it has actually stopped me buying the product, but perhaps made me feel a little less warm and fuzzy about the people who make it!

No comments: