Monday, January 5, 2009

The Science of Returns!

Having just returned from the holidays, the issue of 'returns' is fairly top of mind. Not that it dominates every waking moment, but just that it is capable of putting a damper on an otherwise rather fun time of year. Not having actually worked directly for a major retailer, I have no hard data to back this up, but my guess is that handling returned merchandise is fairly near the bottom of most stores' priority list, since their main focus is getting merchandise out of the store rather than taking it back.

However, I believe that when it comes to really making a retail brand appealing to women, far more emphasis should be placed on making returns an easy and stress-free experience. Women are far more likely to take note when a store 'solves a problem' for her without making it difficult, than they are when they are in the process of making a regular transaction.

One of the retailers that I had to make returns to over the holidays made me stand in line twice. Firstly, I had to stand in the freezing cold foyer of the store while they logged my merchandise into a mini computer and created a sticker to put on the things I was bringing back. It took ages and there was a near uprising in the line caused by the universal sense of frustration at the antiquated process. Once one had dragged oneself through this initial line, one then had to stand in another line at customer service. The whole thing nearly put me off ever going back to the store for anything.

Retailers take note - making it easier to bring stuff back, makes women more likely to buy more stuff next time!

No comments: