Monday, February 16, 2009

Where is the Tom Boy Apparel?

My daughter is a 9 year old tom boy. Not a really extreme tom boy, but a girl who definitely doesn't like to wear anything pink or frilly. Nor does she like wearing things that are covered with Hannah Montana motifs. The combination of these two preferences means that there is hardly anything that she would consider wearing in the girl's departments in stores.

So I have to ask - am I alone? I find it hard to believe that I am the only one with a child that would prefer not to be dressed as Barbie. I feel that girls are still being stereotyped by retailers and apparel manufacturers as 'girly girls'. Sweet little things made of sugar and spice with bows in their hair.

This leads me to ask whether retailers aren't brainwashing our daughters from birth. How can girls grow into strong, independent women with their own sense of individuality and style if all of them have to wear pink and lavender up to the age of about 14?

Forcing them to shop in the boy's department seems to be a signal that if you want to avoid being a girly girl, you have to pretend you are a boy. This doesn't really work for me either. My daughter doesn't want to look like a boy either.

Anyone else have this problem and why don't retailers address this need?

1 comment:

abby said...

Hey!
I totally understand! when i was around that age i was a total tomboy!i hated every thing pink! Alot of the times i ended up just wearing t shirts and jeans which was incredibly slackky :P my mom woulld try and make me wear nicer clothes but just gave up as i hated shopping. although, i did have a few shirts that i absolutely loved and they werent really girly but they werent tacky. some suggestions for clothes are:
Nice looking jeans
Polos (just not pink)
gaucho pants (really flowy)
tops made out of stretchy matier, maybe patterned
nice looking t shirts
try going for blues and browns in stuff

i comeplety agree though, they need to make a less girly line, but still nice. not all pinks and frills. haha
but dont worry. she will grow out of it!i know i did around the age of 11, when i started really liking boys :) hahaha!