Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Make Up Madness

I have been dying to write on my blog about the experience of going to the cosmetic counter in a department store. I know that most women have experienced it and some probably even like it - but I am not one of those people! I am a Sephora fan. I like to be able to go to a store and step inside something that feels like Aladdin's Cave. I want to be able to wander around the store in a state of imagined invisibility and play with all the different brands, products and colors. I don't want to be disturbed until I am pretty near the end of my decision making process and then maybe someone can check in with me.

This unfortunately is not the experience I get when I go to the cosmetic counter in a department store. If I decide that I want to treat myself to some new make-up and I want something a little more special than the drugstore variety, I will plan a trip to the department store. This is definitely a 'love/hate' decision. On the one hand, I love the idea of indulging in a whole new set of high priced make-up that I can covet and keep beautiful in a little black velvet bag forever - in principle anyway. On the other hand, I have a visceral loathing for the women who work behind these counters. It isn't their fault - they are only doing what they are told, and undoubtedly if I was in their position (working on commission), I would be pretty pushy too. This doesn't negate that it is a terrible experience. You only have to skulk up to one of the counters and put your pinky finger on a lipstick and you are mowed down by a complete heard of beauticians. You don't have time to breath, think or luxuriate in the shopping experience(a very important part of spending in excess of $100 on an indulgence such as make-up and face cream). Sometimes I am so annoyed that I actually slink away again without buying anything - even though I had my heart set on a large and irresponsible purchase.

So ultimately I can't understand why these large cosmetic companies don't modify their sales strategies a little. Give people a little room to play and fantasize. Let them work themselves into the mood to buy rather than forcing it on them. I for one, would definitely be a better - and more extravagant customer!

1 comment:

Poochie said...

I had a great experience in Saks a while back. I was asking about a compact and while they "looked it up" they plied me with champagne and compliments. Tried out new products like bronzer on me and ultimately sold me on a bunch of stuff.

I find a glass of champagne goes a long way in the sucking up process. Me likey.