Friday, May 1, 2009

There's a Man in My Room!


I just came back from a business trip in Chicago where I had the good fortune to stay at the Sofitel. This is a truly lovely hotel and one of the best I have stayed at in a long time. However, there was one small thing that bugged me, although it is a fairly consistent experience across most hotels.

Maybe it is just me, but if I order room service - especially after I have indulged in a bubble bath and put on a comfy robe - I would really prefer if room service was not delivered to me by a guy. I think that many women feel a little vulnerable when they are traveling on business alone - in fact I know that this is the case from a research study I did on female business travelers - and appreciate hotels that have good safety practices. I am certainly not saying that it isn't safe for a hotel to send a male waiter up to a woman's room for room service; I certainly have never had any problems. It is just that some of us feel that sense of vulnerability when we are are standing in a hotel room with a robe on and a guy we have never met before is standing in the same room behind a closed door.

Due to this sense of vulnerability, I find myself debating whether or not to use the 30 minutes before the food is delivered to enjoy that desirable bubble bath. Should I keep my business clothes on? Put on some armor in the form of bright red lipstick? Get out my computer so that I look businesslike and efficient? Pretend to be speaking to my husband on the phone? Aaagh.......

I would love it if a hotel asked me whether I would prefer a female server when I order room service. It would be the cherry on the cake. That step that would make me a loyalist forever. Worth thinking about all you hotel chains out there!

2 comments:

Poochie said...

Good point. I know I've felt the slightest sense of discomfort. Some hotel prop the door open a bit so you don't have that "closed door" issue - not that I like that ideally either.

I actually have a floor length robe that I keep just for trips and this situations.

Sarah said...

Interesting. Most times when I have traveled on business and gotten room service, the server hasn't let the door close all the way (often turning the latch to prevent that happening). Of course, you can never be too safe ...