Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Hot Car & The Hot Girl



I have shared this commercial for the Lexus IS Convertible, and although not every woman I have spoken to finds it as offensive as I do, I don't think any of us are inclined to 'hop into' one of them any time soon.

I know that the men who run automotive companies are deaf to the idea that women influence over 80% of all car purchases and that some of us actually earn more than our spouses which allows us to buy the convertible rather than them. Outrageous, I know. Nor am I saying as a result of this information, that the roles should have been reversed so that two hunky guys were running along beside the car and a woman was driving it - although come to think of it, that might have resulted in me liking the spot more.

What I do think, is that this commercial misses the mark. I guess it might appeal to young men - and perhaps Lexus would shoot back that this was the intent in the first place - but unfortunately, the rest of us have to watch it as well. The way I interpreted it was that the lucky guy was driving along in his cool convertible and comes across a couple of beautiful young women who are running alongside the car, just waiting to be 'picked' or 'picked up' by the driver. He decides that the first one isn't cute enough for his taste, so he drives on and chooses the second one instead. I don't know too many women who fantasize about running along the road, waiting to be picked by a guy who decides that they are cute enough to jump into his car.

I am sure that this is not exactly what Lexus wanted to say with their commercial. The problem is that even if they meant something different, it is way too open to be negatively interpreted by the hapless viewer who doesn't have the benefit of a campaign set-up from the advertising agency's account director.

Thoughts anyone?

2 comments:

Mary Dean said...

I don't know anyone of either gender who understands or likes this commercial. Such a shame, because I love the service at Lexus. They do seem to have THAT part of their brand figured out. But their advertising? Not so much.

Anonymous said...

Um. Yes. The commercial is targeting men. If you listen to the VO, you'll understand that the second woman is CHASING the first. The VO says "live a little," then he looks ahead and speeds up to the 2nd woman, the VO says "live a lot." She gets in the car to get away from the woman who is chasing. Obviously the first woman would not get in the car, she had a goal to catch the first woman. He's choosing to "live a lot" to help the 2nd woman, even though he knows nothing about her. Sheesh. It tooks 16 seconds to get that. Take your "hate" goggles off.