Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Totally Asanine!



I normally only write on my blog once a week, but I just read something that compelled me to get scribbling.

We all know by now that the three big US. auto companies are in serious trouble and are looking for solutions to make themselves more profitable. However, it seems to me that one of their biggest problems is that their brands aren't in the least bit fun or glamorous compared to their international competitors - with a few notable exceptions. From my perspective, three of their most interesting brands are Saab, Volvo and Hummer. They all have unique and interesting brand profiles and may not be bought as often as a Chevy Malibu but do a lot to prevent the brand seeming completely out of touch.

Now I read that one of GM's survival strategies is going to be to kill off these three brands. Are they mad? Clearly. No, if I know anything they are going purely by the numbers and the fact that none of these brands are really big sellers. However, they are completely ignoring the fact that all three of them do a great deal to prop up the image of the GM brand that overall reeks of being staid and boring.

Well done GM - another step in the wrong direction.

No comments: