Wednesday, July 28, 2010

200% of what?



Although I pride myself on being a right brain thinker - creative, intuitive, conceptual - there are times when I find myself not being able to think creatively enough.

The latest marketing gimmick of offering a 200% guarantee is one of those times when I feel like the cogs in my head are starting to whir too fast and that something is going to pop right off my brain's internal gadgetry.

Am I the only one out here who is asking '200% of what?'?

I most recently saw it in relation to a company that does home inspections.

Apparently the 200% was in relation to the fact that they would give you your money back and pay you for an inspection of your choice......okay, so in reality I do get it but it is pretty obscure if you ask me.

I have also seen it on a carton of milk.....I guess that means that if you don't like the milk that is inside the carton that they will give you two back.....really?

I always thought that a 100% guarantee meant that I would be 100% satisfied. A bit of a tall order but it sounded good and certainly showed that the company in question was confident about the quality of its product.

With the 200% guarantee, I find myself feeling less reassured rather than more reassured because I start thinking 'come on, now they are just making it up as they go along'.

I look forward to the first company that ventures into the unchartered waters of the 300% guarantee!

No comments: