Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Sharing Cup


We went to the movies recently as a family. We find ourselves doing that a lot lately now that we are into these lazy days of summer when the kids have too much time on their hands and are stunningly creative about finding ways to bug the crap out of me and each other.

After buying the tickets...all seven of them...and complaining once again about how expensive it is to do the simple things nowadays, like take the family out to the movies, we headed into the show.


Of course, we got sidetracked by the snack bar for a bucket of popcorn and a bunch of sodas. We bought one of those jumbo sized buckets that is enough to feed a small village and several drinks. At check out, after spending $40.00 on popcorn and soda, I asked if we could get some of their small drinking cups or a couple of paper bags so we could divvy up the popcorn into individual, more reasonably sized servings for the kids to share.
Well you would have thought I was asking for something extraordinary and never before seen. Just a few small drinking cups to pour the popcorn into and I lit the place abuzz.

After 10 minutes, three counter attendants and the theater manager later, I was informed that they were unable to give me any extra cups unless I bought them. You know inventory and all that?

I thought the guy was kidding.
I had just spent almost $100.00 at the theater on movie tickets, popcorn and soda and they couldn't give me a couple of extra cups so the kids could share their popcorn without fighting. And, oh by the way, be more disruptive to the other theater goers than any cell phone disturbance during show time ever could be!

Now as women, we've all heard about the worrisome trends in our country around increasing isolationism as we get more attached to our cell phones and gaming systems and less attached to each other. So we look for opportunities to get out of the house, spend time together and...here's a new idea...actually share an experience together.

And as a marketer, I see the theater industry trying hard to expand their repertoire to be a place for shared experiences, not just movies. And they are spending millions to do so. They are hosting musical performances, interactive shows, even scheduling mom's weekday gatherings. And they are on to something. I'd much rather schedule a family night at the movies than have everyone in my house go their separate ways and disappear behind a computer screen or the earphones.


But as is so often the case in marketing, they are missing the forest for the trees. I would be so much more inclined to visit my local theater for all kinds of activities...you know, become a more regular customer...if they could just get the little things right.

Like providing a sharing cup.

No comments: