Thursday, October 9, 2008

The 10% Off Thing





Last time I was in Target I bought something worth $24.99. I thought to myself that they couldn't possibly ask me if I wanted to open a Target account in order to benefit from the enormous savings involved - $2.49. However, of course they did.

This promotional offer, which almost every mass merchandiser - well, not Wal-Mart - and every department store continues to push upon its unwitting customers, seems rather out of touch to me.

Let's be honest, nowadays you have to really, really want another credit card to bother to sign up. I know that we have all been a little credit crazy in the past decade or so, but most people are starting to realize the folly of their ways. Moreover, the other part of the equation that I think about every time I open a new credit card is that I am going to have to deal with more bills and more paper work every month.

Can this promotional avenue to loyalty be seriously resuscitated?

Probably yes, if the stores stopped being so greedy and actually offered consumers something worth having. How about 50% off on the day you take out the card and 10% every time you use it? That would certainly get my attention and I imagine that it would still pay out for most retailers.

Let's start giving consumers something that is really worth having!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes if the truth be known, in some moments I can say that I approve of with you, but you may be inasmuch as other options.
to the article there is even now a question as you did in the fall delivery of this request www.google.com/ie?as_q=ulead video studio 9 ?
I noticed the catch-phrase you suffer with not used. Or you use the pitch-dark methods of promotion of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg