Thursday, October 2, 2008

Going Broke At Wal-Mart



Okay, so it is probably true to that I can't really blame Wal-Mart for this, but despite the incredibly good value that Wal-Mart offers, I am going broke shopping there! In fact it has got to the point now, where my husband won't even let me go there because it has such a bad effect on my bank account.

So what's up?

Well, when I go to Wal-Mart or Target I always have a specific item in mind that I want to purchase. Usually something mild like some new underwear or shampoo. So why do I always end up spending at least $100? Well........basically because walking into these stores for me is a little like a kid walking into a candy shop. Suddenly the shampoo and underwear is completely forgotten in favor of the need to try Olay's new miracle wrinkle remover or Revlon's newest shade of lipstick. That however, is the least harmless of my tendencies in the realm of impulsive shopping behavior. Wandering into the pet department I will spy a new extra large dog bed or an adorable cat collar that I just have to have. Nearby stands a lovely row of vacuum cleaners in all sorts of lovely shiny colors just waiting to be bought.

So I have to admit that I have a definite love hate relationship with these mass merchandisers. I love them because they do allow me to shop with incredible convenience and buy everything I need for very reasonable prices. However, the less loving side of my relationship comes from the fact that the reasonable prices become a moot point if I am buying about four times what I really need.

Does anyone else have this problem?

1 comment:

Meg said...

I hate Walmart for so many reasons, but I have to admit that one of the main reasons that I stay away is because I also end up spending a lot more than I planned. I spent about $100 one day just showing friends a Super Walmart since they weren't from U.S. All those "bargains" add up quickly.