Friday, April 24, 2009

Does Susan's Makeover Ruin the Magic?


I just came across an article in the UK press that informed us that Susan has just spent 100 pounds ($150) on a makeover. On the one hand I am glad for her because it represents an external manifestation of her success. She is feeling good about herself, so why shouldn't she express her sense of 'feel good' with an external expression of the change that has occurred in her life. Selfishly though, I am not so sure I like it. It reminds me a little of those commercials or movies where the original was such a huge success that the producers try to build on the success by producing a sequel. The sad truth is that the sequel is never as good as the original.

I believe that a central element to Susan's success - beyond the beauty of her voice - was her complete authenticity. There was nothing fake about her and it was wonderful to see.

Anyway, I would love to hear from other people about whether her makeover is just another natural step on her road to stardom, or whether as a society, we run the risk of ruining what made everyone who saw her feel so awe inspired.

Take my survey on this page, and let me know what you think!

No comments: