Monday, September 20, 2010

Hope For Sale



I think that most people who have read my blog know that I have fairly high standards when it comes to marketing messages and brands that clearly are getting involved with something in order to boost sales rather than because they really care.

However, I am a fan of Hyundai's Hope on Wheels program for one simple reason - in their TV. commercial they say one line that makes all the difference - 'You Don't Have To Buy A Hyundai to Help'.

I loved that - it made me feel so much better about the brand and what it is trying to do. It gave me the impression that Hyundai really cared because they were asking people to get involved even if they didn't want to drive one of their vehicles. It felt altruistic and honest - it really stuck in my mind and made me want to find out more about the program.

I wonder whether this is actually an example of reverse psychology - that they told me that I didn't have to buy into the brand in order to care and the actual effect it had on me was to make me more inclined to think about buying a Hyundai.

Clever - and effective - also a great cause that has not been over-marketed.

No comments: