Sunday, September 26, 2010

I'll Have Some of That, Please

Okay, okay so there has been so much written about the Old Spice guy lately...you know the one on the horse...that it seems like there really isn't much more to say.

But I did have an interesting experience with Old Spice just the other day that prompted me to really stop and think about what Old Spice has done that is way cooler than their stunningly good use of social media and pretty nice looking Old Spice man.

I was cleaning out the sports duffle bag that one of our girls uses for soccer and came across a stick of Old Spice deodorant. At first it caught me off guard and I have to admit I started to wonder who she was hanging out with and why his deodorant was in her bag.


Then I realized that she and her brothers have been watching and talking about the Isiah Mustafa campaign now for months. It started when one of the kids came home from school talking about the funny ads, which they all promptly sat down to watch on You Tube over and over again. They loved the fact that he would respond to tweets he got from fans with videos on You Tube. Now just like so many others, they are watching and waiting to see what he does next.

But what's really noticeable is that now we have several sticks of Old Spice deodorant and bottles of body wash in the house. The boys are using it. The girls are using it. I've even tried it. Before this brand was invisible to us and now it has a front and center role in the household.

So it struck me.

What's way cooler than a couple of great commercials, You Tube videos and Twitter campaign?

Old Spice has gotten its mojo back.

No comments: